Monday, January 7, 2013

Introduction

In this blog I will be recounting my experiences at the concerts I attend in Seattle, which will be mostly at the Seattle Symphony, with a few Seattle Opera performances mixed in from time to time. My posts will be sort of like concert reviews, but will also include details about my experience that have nothing to do with the quality of the performance.

So far I have tickets for ten SSO concerts between now and June, as well as tickets for La Bohème at the opera in March, and for the Ring cycle in August.

The concert I'm most excited about is probably Hilary Hahn performing the Sibelius Violin Concerto on April 27th. I continue to watch the seating map on the SSO website, waiting for better seats to open up so I can exchange my tickets for them. I've already once exchanged the initial tickets I bought for a superior pair that opened up this last week!

I'm also anticipating the announcement of the 2013/2014 season at the Symphony, and trying to decide whether I should subscribe for the 7, 13 or 21 concert Masterworks series. This will be the first season that I am a subscriber of the Masterworks series. And of course I'm also anticipating the pending announcements from the Seattle Opera, but I probably won't be subscribing there because I've gotten the impression that it's difficult to obtain a subscription in Dress Circle Preferred, and there are usually tickets available there at some point before each performance.

This Saturday I will be hearing HJ Lim performing Mendelssohn's Piano Concerto No. 1 in G minor, with Jun Märkl conducting. The program opens with Stravinsky's Suite from Pulcinella, and closes with Mozart's 39th Symphony. Stay tuned!


Photo by Seph Parshall

No comments:

Post a Comment